Family Literacy Programs
Join us for the Magic Carpet Ride!
Magic Carpet Ride
2020 sessions will start the week of September 14th. Join us at either of our 3 locations
Brownfield School from 10:00 am – 11:30 am with Miss Amanda
Theresetta School in Castor from 10 am – 12 pm with Miss Cristina
Coronation Memorial Library from 9:30 am – 11:30 am with Miss Trina.
About our program:
- Magic Carpet Ride is a weekly program for children from 6 months to school age and their caregivers.
- We promote literacy through songs, stories, crafts, and play.
- NEW for Fall 2020, there will be a $20.00 charge for each 16 week session (Sept.-Dec., Jan.-May) Registration and payment options now on the website.
Tips for language learning:
- Read together.
- Talk about what you see.
- Sing songs about every-day things.
- Encourage drawing or writing in any language.
One-on-one family literacy support
- Weekly, one on one Family Literacy support.
- Supports parents to be confident as their child’s first teacher.
- Builds on what parents already know about helping their child.
- Encourages parents to take an active role in their child’s literacy development.
- Provides a variety of tools and strategies to help parents teach their child.
You should contact us about Building Blocks to:
- Make sure your preschooler has all the tools he or she will need to succeed.
- Make sure your child does not face the same challenges you faced.
- Support your child’s language development now.
- Get fun ideas that encourage learning and literacy.
Ask about the Book Start Program
- A special gift to you and your new baby.
- Given to you by your Health Unit Nurse.
- Books are meant to be enjoyed.
- Try a new one every day. Use your voice to talk, sing, read, recite rhymes, ask questions.
- Use your body, too. Touch, cuddle, tickle, move, caress.