Family Literacy Programs
Join us for the Magic Carpet Ride!
Magic Carpet Ride
2020 sessions will start the week of September 8th. Join us at either of our 3 locations. Each week will have two 45 minute sessions. Please choose your time preference on the registration form.
Brownfield School playground with Miss Trina
Theresetta School in Castor with Miss Cristina
Coronation Memorial Library with Miss Trina
About our program:
- Magic Carpet Ride is a weekly program for children from 6 months to school age and their caregivers.
- We promote literacy through rhymes, stories, crafts, and play.
- NEW for Fall 2020, there will be a $10.00 charge for each 8 week session (Sept.-Oct., Nov.-Dec) Registration and payment options now on the website.
- Each community has a MCR Facebook group. Join the group for updates and to see how much fun Magic Carpet Ride is!!
Tips for language learning:
- Read together.
- Talk about what you see.
- Sing songs about every-day things.
- Encourage drawing or writing in any language.
One-on-one family literacy support
- Weekly, one on one Family Literacy support.
- Supports parents to be confident as their child’s first teacher.
- Builds on what parents already know about helping their child.
- Encourages parents to take an active role in their child’s literacy development.
- Provides a variety of tools and strategies to help parents teach their child.
You should contact us about Building Blocks to:
- Make sure your preschooler has all the tools he or she will need to succeed.
- Make sure your child does not face the same challenges you faced.
- Support your child’s language development now.
- Get fun ideas that encourage learning and literacy.
Ask about the Book Start Program
- A special gift to you and your new baby.
- Given to you by your Health Unit Nurse.
- Books are meant to be enjoyed.
- Try a new one every day. Use your voice to talk, sing, read, recite rhymes, ask questions.
- Use your body, too. Touch, cuddle, tickle, move, caress.