Family Literacy Programs
Join us for the Magic Carpet Ride!
Magic Carpet Ride
2023 sessions will start the week of September 11th. Join us at either of our 3 locations. Each week will have a 2 hour session, 10:00am-Noon.
Brownfield School with Miss Trina
Coronation School with Miss Trina
Halkirk Seniors Centre with Miss Cristina
About our program:
- Magic Carpet Ride is a weekly program for children from 6 months to school age and their parents/guardians.
- We promote literacy through rhymes, stories, crafts, and play.
- There is a $10.00 charge per family for the Fall/Winter session (Sept.-Jan.) Registration and payment options now on the website.
- Each community has a MCR Facebook group. Join the group for updates and to see how much fun Magic Carpet Ride is!
Tips for language learning:
- Read together.
- Talk about what you see.
- Sing songs about every-day things.
- Encourage drawing or writing in any language.
One-on-one family literacy support
- Weekly, one on one Family Literacy support.
- Supports parents to be confident as their child’s first teacher.
- Builds on what parents already know about helping their child.
- Encourages parents to take an active role in their child’s literacy development.
- Provides a variety of tools and strategies to help parents teach their child.
You should contact us about Building Blocks to:
- Make sure your preschooler has all the tools he or she will need to succeed.
- Make sure your child does not face the same challenges you faced.
- Support your child’s language development now.
- Get fun ideas that encourage learning and literacy.
Ask about the Book Start Program
- A special gift to you and your new baby.
- Given to you by your Health Unit Nurse.
- Books are meant to be enjoyed.
- Try a new one every day. Use your voice to talk, sing, read, recite rhymes, ask questions.
- Use your body, too. Touch, cuddle, tickle, move, caress.